Wednesday 23 October 2013

The Buddha taught me how.

Gil Fronsdal
Today, almost any Buddhist knows that Prince Siddhartha, the Buddha later, had left their nest to find the way out on the day Rahula - child son [only] his - was born. Many people find it difficult to understand, even outrage, before an action may seem "irresponsible" like. However, few know that after reaching the enlightened Buddha has become the teacher taught his son the youth lives most of his son, Rahula since the age of seven, and He is an exemplary father: Rahula achieved enlightenment when round 20. So, we ask, the Buddha is like a father? His method teaches you how? How to transmit an enlightened spiritual values ​​to their children?
scriptures do not mention much about the parent-child relationship between the Buddha and Rahula, but where it has left the signs interesting to note about the Buddha led his son how the maturity path. Although this was before the scriptures have to say about the stories Rahula became the Buddha's disciples how, but most of this information is in three sermons that if we gather all together , it is a continuous process of the path to enlightenment: Rahula at age seven, the Buddha taught the moral, at 10 years old Rahula, Buddha teach meditation, and time 20 years old, he taught the liberating wisdom. Maturation of Rahula, so, coupled with the process of enlightenment of the Buddha.
circular When my son seven years old, I started thinking about how to lead it and brother it on the spiritual path. At least, I want them to learn and practice Buddhism later big enough to get back to us with the potential that if they like or need to. I also think that if my children could take refuge in the Dharma, or later, whether in anywhere, they can also go back to the orphanage there. Especially, because for me, the biggest fortune that I have been through the practice of Buddhism is peace, compassion and carefree, I wondered how I could transmit the spiritual heritage then back to the next generation. Known Rahula Buddha began teaching since the age of seven, I searched the Pali texts to study for the method used by the Buddha to teach his son.
way I found to do How to leave a "spiritual heritage" through stories and scriptural truth about Rahula attended to his father how. Six years after the Buddha left his family, and a year after attaining enlightenment, the Buddha returned to the city. Rahula, then seven years old, taught by his mother, fled to the father to ask for inheritance. If old Prince Siddhartha did not leave the city to go, so now Rahula passed the throne. But as someone who has let go of all, ascetic life, the Buddha can give something back to their children? Replied Rahula, Buddha turned to his Shariputra (Sariputta), a trusted disciple of the Buddha: "Let's admit it." [As such], instead of the throne, Rahula has inherited his father's path - the path to liberation.
Perhaps my son a long time head shaved and put on his robes, but I still want my child exposed to the the basics of Buddhism, things have profoundly transformed my life. When I read the passage about how the Buddha taught Rahula, I was surprised to realize that these things are not new, but still very suitable for teaching children in this country, in this modern age. Indeed, the sermon became the lodestar for me to teach.

Ethics



The first story tells Rahula is the Buddha of heart integrity (integrity) like. At the age of eight, Rahula once lied. Economics Professor About Last Rahula (Middle Length, 61) says that after finishing meditation, the Buddha to find child. Rahula take the chair and asked him to sit, then bring to a bowl of water for washing the feet fathers, according to the custom of the time. After washing his feet, the Buddha asked:
"Hey, Rahula, do you see a little water left in the bowl this?"
"Yes, I have seen" - Rahula said.
"life of a monk well worth a bit of water just this once, if that person intentionally lied. "
Rahula imagine I blushed.
then Buddha knocked over all the water in the bowl and said: "Life's a practice should also put down like this if he or she intentionally lied. "
Done, Buddha turned the bowl upside down and said: "Life's a religious person becomes upset, saying if that person intentionally say lie. "
And, to further emphasize the Buddha bowl flip back and said: "Life's a practice also became bowl is empty as if he intentionally lied."
Then he teaches: "For a person deliberately lied, not a bad sin that he can not do. Therefore, Rahula, the exercise should never lie, whether it's a joke. "
This story reminds me that these words angrily scolded the children actually only strength but no internal resources. Buddha was very calm, pick the right time to teach time without penalty or angry with me.
After a short lecture sternly, clearly lied about it, I imagine Rahula about father hear more. Then the Buddha leads to consider how their actions.
"That mirror is used to do?" - he asked.
"Blessed Bach, for example soi" - Rahula replied. The Buddha taught:
"While preparing to do more with the body, speech, mind, you must contemplate: This action may harm themselves or others are not. If, after consideration, I find that it would be harmful action, then you just do not do. If you find that such action is beneficial for you and for others, then I do. "
I suddenly realized that instead of teaching their children know the absolute difference between right and wrong, the Buddha taught meditation on the benefits and harms. This requires both the self-consciousness (self-awareness) and compassion. Laying the foundation of morality based on "good" or "bad" to liberate our moral life from the abstract concepts and ideas to nothing to do as a result of it. "There are good" and "bad" also helps people identify their goals. What will we do to become negative or conditions, or is conditioned upon the way we go.
approach of the Buddha's teachings made ​​me more and more confidence that we need to sow in the hearts of the children of seeds of compassion, the seed of consciousness on each of its actions will affect other people like. The power of insight and compassion will not only get to know if the child's adult obey: "Please know contemplate, and be compassionate!" These values ​​can only be through the example of others, especially the parents of the child.
Buddha taught Rahula also consider after doing something, it does not hurt anything. If yes, then go to see a man of insight and repentance to avoid repeating mistakes in the future. I have learned how to guide children to develop heart integrity by recognizing my mistakes. And that heart integrity depends very much on how the parents fault scrutiny of how their children. Behavior of parents greatly influence the moral development of the child, if the parents of the child can see that it is my belief, that I just want to help your child is to grow up punish the child, then the child will be honest with their parents more.

Empyrean



The second story about the Buddha taught meditation for Rahula how to develop inner platform (Middle Length, 62). Then Rahula was 10 years old. The story begins when the father and son were walking meditation. During the ride, La Most Ha suddenly proud of her beauty, and the Buddha thought it read. He told me: "Look with the eyes of wisdom, this body is not me (me), not mine (mine), is not my self (myself)." Then Buddha continues, we must remove all perception, knowledge as well as any ideas about me, my, and my self. Listen to this teaching is done, Rahula ashamed, retired to the monastery, and not necessarily anything to eat all day. I think this is the basis for teaching children. I can not imagine myself at 10 years old tfhe understand how the Buddha's teachings. I remember, very clearly, that at the same age, my mind just full of worry about how I look. I have heard that this is very important for the development process of the children of the "I" and the process of looking for myself. There should charge a 14 year old boy on such ephemeral idea or not? Is Buddha intervened in the process of developing normal children, rather than let them explore? Without knowledge of "me", how a teen can develop into an adult with a mental balance? The answer lies in what the Buddha taught his son the following paragraphs. That night, after being rebuked Buddha, Rahula to ask his father to teach meditation breath. First of all, the Buddha used examples to illustrate how to let go in meditation. He says:
"I like to meditate how the earth: the earth does not feel any trouble because something on it. So, if you like land meditation, you will not have feelings of pleasure or enjoyment of any one thing. Take meditation as water, like fire, like the wind, and space: they all do not feel bothered by feelings of pleasure or delight. Internships are like water, like fire, like wind, like space, your mind will not encumbered at all. "
Then, before teaching Rahula breath allows contemplation, Buddha teach about interest from as antidote eliminate malice, of compassion to overcome cruelty, joy to the heart tame these unsatisfactory, and the equanimity to prevent insecurity, love hate.
Later, he began teaching the Mindfulness of Breathing allows over 16 stages. The stage is divided into 3 parts: a) pure mind and body, b) to identify the body, mind heart and insight development, and c) letting go. Finally, the Buddha saved a bold mark on his teachings to Rahula by emphasizing that through the practice of breath awareness alone, we will be able to identify your last breath his near-death moments in a way totally cool.
Upon reading about how the Buddha allows breathing to identify his body and mind, I noticed there is also a method to build a solid concept "I". I thought to myself, what does the teenagers in this day and age and accept the "I" and its many concepts distinguish themselves from others, because they do not feel comfortable with myself and with others? And I believe, accept, and distinction that he would no longer feel safe if they are happy with themselves and comfortable with the people around them.
When teaching meditation for teens, I found the ability to meditate their dance angry about 13-14 years old. There you can enter a deep meditation, but that they do not remain long in this state. I know a lot of young people use meditation for spiritual stability and carefree look of peace between the challenges of adolescence.
however, breath meditation is not only beneficial for teenagers , but a lifelong journey. Buddha ended his lecture by showing Rahula saw the value of mindfulness of breathing practice how to last moments of his life.

Insight



In the third and final approach, the Buddha instructed Rahula to answer a series of questions about the liberating wisdom (Middle Length, 147). Rahula gave all of his childhood for the path to reach enlightenment in one passage, he is considered an exemplary monk and diligently. When 20-year-old round Rahula, Buddha said that his son was close to liberation. He did something very touching: he walked with me into the depths of the forest. Sitting under a great tree root old, he led a legal Rahula talks extensively about the theory of self. For someone who has reached such high levels of practice Rahula, the deep thoughts of the subconscious self is the last obstacle of liberation. Sitting listening to Buddha, Rahula attained is itself the selflessness of all things, and that's the last rung Rahula help achieve full liberation. Theory of Buddha-self can be confusing. It is very easy to misidentify it as an abstract doctrine, but not the fact that it is very practical teachings about how to find happiness by letting go of all. For me, the Buddha taught the doctrine of selflessness in the forest is essential. I saw her take another look at the scene in the middle of nature than when in the middle of town. I feel at peace and feeling carefree nature that helps you easily bring out the idea of self is more. Contemplate letting go smoother while reading books on Buddhism sitting in the house is very different from when I was sitting under a tree. While reading this third option, I contemplate the importance of knowing yourself (self-consciousness) between the natural landscape. In the past, Rahula at age seven, and his father would like to inherit a fortune, he never imagined that 13 years later, he inherited a precious legacy that a parenting can leave their children. In Buddhism, enlightenment is the greatest happiness. I wish my children will find peace, relax, and peace on the path to liberation. And perhaps, on their way to becoming adults, they will also be taught about morality, meditation and wisdom [such as Rahula]. END=VIETNAMESE TRANSLATE ENGLISH BY THICH CHAN TANH.THE MIND OF ENLIGHTMENT.WORLD VIETNAMESE BUDDHIST ORDER=VIETNAMESE BUDDHIST NUN=GOLDEN LOTUS MONASTERY=AUSTRALIA.SYDNEY.24/10/2013.NAM MO SAKYAMUNI BUDDHA.( 3 TIMES ).

No comments:

Post a Comment